Sometimes I Run
Registration for the 2016 Run Rabbit Run has been open for over a week, and there are still about a hundred spots available. I’m a bit surprised, as I thought the race would surely sell out in the first day or two. Why? Well, Run Rabbit Run has a fairly uncommon trait — something special it shares with six other 100 mile runs.read more
One week into the new year, and my next big running event seems remarkably close. It’s still three more months before I attempt the Umstead 100 again, but it feels like it’s right around the corner.
This sense of urgency came up quickly, and last night my mind went into full-on race planning mode. Detailed questions about logistics and race day strategy kept popping into my head, demanding my immediate and undivided attention…read more
Why aren’t there more “Last One Standing” races? Are they too challenging, or just too weird?read more
0-for-2 in 100 milers this year… That’s ok!!read more
My fourth time at the Breck Crest marathon might not have been a charm, but it gave me a great opportunity to learn something new.read more
The number of people moving off the wait list and on to the entrants list for the Run Rabbit Run 100 has increased noticeably over the past month or so…read more
Getting high in Colorado.read more
How I decided to put together some disposable bottles for the SJS 50.read more
Let’s see if this goes any better than the Umstead 100.read more
I’ve been a little antsy following my recent DNF at the Umstead 100. So early last week, I tried to come up with a tune-up event that I could do before the San Jan Solstice. I considered the Collegiate Peaks Trail Run (25 miler), the Dirty Thirty 50k, and the Sage Burner 50k.read more
My name is Jake, and sometimes I run. Sometimes I jog. Sometimes I power hike. And sometimes I walk with very little power whatsoever.
I don’t know if that makes me a “runner” or not, but I don’t think the classification matters much. Whenever I’m moving forward I’m happy.
This is a largely incomplete list. I did a fair amount of running in the pre-Internet era, but have no record of my times from races back then. The only forgotten race I’m curious about is the Mountain Masochist 50M – I ran it in the fall 1991.
I’ve done the Triple Bypass and the Copper Triangle, as well as a few bike races (including the Leadville 100 MTB and the Mount Evans ascent) in which I finished solidly near the very end of the field. I also did a couple adventure races in the late 1990’s, and DNF’d a few as well. (I really thought adventure racing would take off more than it did…)
• Nothing Yet!
• 12/8 – CMRA Cross Country State Championship 12K (55:59)
• 8/18 – CMRA Elk Meadow Trail Race 5.75M (46:56)
• 7/12 – Tahoe Rim Trail 50M (14:14:14)
• 6/30 – Rollinsville Rail Run 10M (1:21:13)
• 5/12 – Quad Rock 25M (5:09:32)
• 4/21 – Mt. Carbon Trail 1/2 Marathon (1:54:18)
• 3/24 – CMRA Spring Spree 10K (43:29)
• 1/7 – CMRA Lake Arbor 5K (20:59)
• 11/12 – CMRA Stone House (2x) Triple-Cross Trail 8.5M (1:06:58)
• 10/9 – CMRA Coal Creek XC Challenge 5.72M (43:01)
• 9/17 – CMRA Hildebrand Ranch 6.6M (50:14)
• 9/4 – Breck Crest Marathon (5:54:27)
• 8/10 – CMRA Fairmount 5K Trail (22:11)
• 7/16 – CMRA White Ranch Trail 10K (56:52)
• 6/18 – CMRA Sand Creek 5 Mile (39:17)
• 6/4 – Golden Gate Dirty Thirty 50k (8:03:47)
• 6/16 – Mt. Evans Ascent 14.5M (3:16:04)
• 4/29 – Boulder Distance Carnival 15K (1:20:11)
• 6/30 – Finger Lakes Fifties 50K (6:13:43)
• 10/26 – Marine Corps Marathon (4:56:13)
• 11/5 – ING New York City Marathon (3:57:37)