One word describes last Saturday’s Black Canyon 100k trail run: MUD I suppose it’s a bit unfair to reduce the race to that single word, because it could also be described as cold or wet or windy. But while I’ve run in cold and wet and windy conditions before, I’ve...
I consider myself relatively intelligent and moderately tough... although, to be honest, who doesn't think that about themselves? But when it comes to ultras, I freely admit that I often feel dumb and weak. My 0-for-2 record in 100-milers shows that I'm still trying...
Everyday running is one thing. Racing is another. That’s true in a lot of ways, not the least of which is a runner’s approach to hydration. When I go on a long training run, I can structure it in lots of different ways. In a suburban setting, I can choose a route...
Unfortunately, for various reasons, I'm going to DNS this coming weekend's Umstead 100. I know it's the right decision, but I can't help but feel down about it (particularly after getting lucky on registration day and securing a coveted spot). It's also a little...
I came across another "Last One Standing" race while browsing some of the runner blogs I follow. The write-up came from the prolific Davy Crockett, whose race and solo run adventure reports I've always found to be incredibly detailed and full of useful information....
Sometimes I run. Sometimes I jog. Sometimes I power hike. And sometimes I’m reduced to the death shuffle. I don’t know if that makes me a “runner” or not, but I don’t think the definition matters. Whenever I’m moving forward I’m happy.
This is a largely incomplete list. I did a fair amount of running in the pre-Internet era, but have no record of my times from races back then. I’ve done the Triple Bypass and the Copper Triangle, as well as a few bike races (including the Leadville 100 MTB and the Mount Evans ascent) in which I finished solidly near the very end of the field. I also did a couple adventure races in the late 1990’s, and DNF’d a few as well. (I really thought adventure racing would take off more than it did…)
- 5/2 – Quad Rock 50M (13:42:03)
- 12/8 – CMRA Cross Country State Championship 12K (55:59)
- 8/18 – CMRA Elk Meadow Trail Race 5.75M (46:56)
- 7/12 – Tahoe Rim Trail 50M (14:14:14)
- 6/30 – Rollinsville Rail Run 10M (1:21:13)
- 5/12 – Quad Rock 25M (5:09:32)
- 4/21 – Mt. Carbon Trail 1/2 Marathon (1:54:18)
- 3/24 – CMRA Spring Spree 10K (43:29)
- 1/7 – CMRA Lake Arbor 5K (20:59)
- 11/12 – CMRA Stone House (2x) Triple-Cross Trail 8.5M (1:06:58)
- 10/9 – CMRA Coal Creek XC Challenge 5.72M (43:01)
- 9/17 – CMRA Hildebrand Ranch 6.6M (50:14)
- 9/4 – Breck Crest Marathon (5:54:27)
- 8/10 – CMRA Fairmount 5K Trail (22:11)
- 7/16 – CMRA White Ranch Trail 10K (56:52)
- 6/18 – CMRA Sand Creek 5 Mile (39:17)
- 6/4 – Golden Gate Dirty Thirty 50k (8:03:47)
- 6/16 – Mt. Evans Ascent 14.5M (3:16:04)
- 4/29 – Boulder Distance Carnival 15K (1:20:11)
- 6/30 – Finger Lakes Fifties 50K (6:13:43)
- 10/26 – Marine Corps Marathon (4:56:13)
- 11/5 – ING New York City Marathon (3:57:37)
- 10/26 – Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50 mile (10:49:49)