I find myself, in the day before my first 100 mile race, struggling with the whole “planning” versus “approach” dichotomy.
(You may know what I’m talking about: having a “plan” for a run or race, comprised of splits and numbers and HR targets and gear checklists; versus having an “approach” that’s based on monitoring how you feel throughout the run, and responding to the constant feedback in a somewhat more fuzzy and variable way.)
The only thing you NEED to go trail running is a trail.
Sometimes the things that throw us off track aren’t random, unfortunate occurrences beyond our control.
Good news last Friday: I got into the San Juan Solstice 50 miler through its inaugural lottery. It looks like the odds were favorable, at least as far as ultra lotteries go — 250 accepted runners vs. just 62 names on the wait list (as of this afternoon) — but I still feel lucky. This looks like a kick-ass race that really seems to challenge runners, and one that’s becoming increasingly popular.
My work schedule and the weather finally aligned for me to do my first five hour marathon training session yesterday.
And it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It’s true that I’m feeling the 26.2 miles of pavement a little bit today, but for the most part the run was a success.
There’s a lot of talk these days about what it's going to take for someone to run the first sub-two hour marathon. I think it’s an interesting topic, particularly the science and training principles behind the discussion, but the two-hour marathon itself doesn't have...
We’re finally getting to the end of this year’s elections and, in light of all the junk I’ve sees on TV and received in the mail, one of Winston Churchill’s most famous quotes has been on my mind a lot: “It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government...
I was able to get to Boulder last night for the first stop of Rainshadow Running's Trail Running Film Fest. I've been to a number of climbing and mountaineering film festivals over the years, but this was my first opportunity to attend a showing of trail running...
Setting race goals can be tricky. One of the biggest challenges for me is trying to balance outcome goals (i.e., finish time) versus process goals (i.e., pacing). In this past weekend's Bear Chase Race 50 miler, I had set an 11 hour goal for myself. I knew I wasn’t...
About a week ago, Ellie Greenwood wrote an article about a tendency among some ultrarunners to avoid "shorter" races like the marathon. Among the possible explanations, she states that: ...maybe, just maybe, it’s because we as ultrarunners are sometimes afraid to put...
One of the most interesting things about getting older is that I've had the chance to experience firsthand the way things "used to be." The nature of many running events has certainly changed a lot, but the act of registering for races seems to have changed at least...
Sometimes I run. Sometimes I jog. Sometimes I power hike. And sometimes I’m reduced to the death shuffle. I don’t know if that makes me a “runner” or not, but I don’t think the definition matters. Whenever I’m moving forward I’m happy.
This is a largely incomplete list. I did a fair amount of running in the pre-Internet era, but have no record of my times from races back then. I’ve done the Triple Bypass and the Copper Triangle, as well as a few bike races (including the Leadville 100 MTB and the Mount Evans ascent) in which I finished solidly near the very end of the field. I also did a couple adventure races in the late 1990’s, and DNF’d a few as well. (I really thought adventure racing would take off more than it did…)
- 5/2 – Quad Rock 50M (13:42:03)
- 12/8 – CMRA Cross Country State Championship 12K (55:59)
- 8/18 – CMRA Elk Meadow Trail Race 5.75M (46:56)
- 7/12 – Tahoe Rim Trail 50M (14:14:14)
- 6/30 – Rollinsville Rail Run 10M (1:21:13)
- 5/12 – Quad Rock 25M (5:09:32)
- 4/21 – Mt. Carbon Trail 1/2 Marathon (1:54:18)
- 3/24 – CMRA Spring Spree 10K (43:29)
- 1/7 – CMRA Lake Arbor 5K (20:59)
- 11/12 – CMRA Stone House (2x) Triple-Cross Trail 8.5M (1:06:58)
- 10/9 – CMRA Coal Creek XC Challenge 5.72M (43:01)
- 9/17 – CMRA Hildebrand Ranch 6.6M (50:14)
- 9/4 – Breck Crest Marathon (5:54:27)
- 8/10 – CMRA Fairmount 5K Trail (22:11)
- 7/16 – CMRA White Ranch Trail 10K (56:52)
- 6/18 – CMRA Sand Creek 5 Mile (39:17)
- 6/4 – Golden Gate Dirty Thirty 50k (8:03:47)
- 6/16 – Mt. Evans Ascent 14.5M (3:16:04)
- 4/29 – Boulder Distance Carnival 15K (1:20:11)
- 6/30 – Finger Lakes Fifties 50K (6:13:43)
- 10/26 – Marine Corps Marathon (4:56:13)
- 11/5 – ING New York City Marathon (3:57:37)
- 10/26 – Mountain Masochist Trail Run 50 mile (10:49:49)